Muhammad Iqbal Choudhary
Nationality : Pakistan
Born : 1959
Position : Director of ICCBS, University of Karachi | Coordinator General of COMSTECH
Field of study : Bioorganic Chemistry, Enzyme Inhibition
H. Index : 75
Get in touch :
PROF. DR. M. Iqbal Choudhary is Director and Professor of Bioorganic and Natural Product Chemistry at the International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences (H. E. J. Research Institute of Chemistry and Dr. Panjwani Center for Molecular Medicine and Drug Research). Prof. Choudhary has, since 1990, been among the world leaders in the field of natural product chemistry, and has made pioneering contributions in the discovery of novel natural products. He has discovered many potent anti-epileptic and anti-leishmanial compounds from indigenous medicinal plants that are under clinical trials. His contributions to reverse bacterial resistance to antibiotics represent seminal contributions in this important field. He leads the developing world's finest research center of natural product chemistry (HEJ Research Institute of Chemistry) since 2002, and has trained hundreds of young researchers, especially women, from across the Afro-Asian region in natural product chemistry. He has established several research centers in Pakistan, and helped to setup research units in Africa, and South and Central Asia. His scientific, and capacity building contributions have been recognized by prestigious national and international awards and honors, and fellowships of several academies of science. Prof. Choudhary has 1,018 publications (Citations 23,000, h index 62) in the fields of organic and bioorganic chemistry, along with 57 international patents (51 US Patents), 68 books and 40 chapters in books, published by major U.S. and European presses. On the basis of his researches, 84 students have been awarded Ph.D. degrees in various areas of natural product and bioorganic chemistry.
Prizes, honours and awards
- Declared as the top most scientist (Number 1) among 1,650 scientists of Pakistan in all disciplines / fields of science and technology (year 2012) by the Pakistan Council for Science and Technology (Ministry of Science and Technology), Pakistan
- COMSTECH Award in (57 OIC member countries) by the Prime Minister of Pakistan (2010).
- Civil Award Hilal-e-Imtiaz by the President of Pakistan (2007)
- Civil Award Sitara-e-Imtiaz by the President of Pakistan (2001)
- Civil Award Tamgha-i-Imtiaz by the President of Pakistan (1999)
- First Khwarizmi International Award and Prize from the President of Islamic Republic of Iran (2006)
- Doctor of Science (D. Sc.) University of Karachi (2005).
- Distinguished National Professor of the Higher Education Commission (2004).
- Meritorius Professor, University of Karachi (Grade 22) (2013)
- Distinguished Professor of the COMSATS (2013)
- Prof. Abdussalam (Nobel Laureate) Prize in Chemistry (1989)
- Prof. Raziuddin Siddiqui Gold Medal of Pakistan Academy of Sciences (1992)
- Third World Academy of Science (Trieste, Italy) Young Scientists Award (1994)
- National Book Foundation Prize for the Best Science Book (1995)
- Senior Fulbright Fellow at the University of California at San Diego, USA (1999).
- Fellow, The Academy of Sciences for the Developing World (TWAS) (2003).
- Fellow, Islamic Academy of Science (2003).
- Fellow, Pakistan Academy of Sciences (2003).
- Fellow, Chemical Society of Pakistan (2001).
- Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry (2004).
- Fellow, International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC).
- Fellow, World Innovation Foundation (2006).
- Fellow, LEAD-International (Leadership for Environment and Development).
- Visiting Professor at the University of Rhode Island (URI), USA
- Visiting Professor at the School of Healthcare Sciences at Manchester Metropolitan University, UK
- Visiting Professor at the Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM), Malaysia
- Visiting Professor at the Al-Farabi Kazakh National University, Kazakhstan
- Highly Cited Research Professor at the King Abdulaziz University (KAU), Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
- Highly Cited Academic Icon at the University of Malaya, Malaysia. Biodata and List of Publications Pag No. 4
- Visiting Professor at the King Saud